Latest news from Heavy Lift & Project Forwarding International Magazine

TIGER fails to roar for Aker Philadelphia

February 24 - Reports in the financial press indicate that Aker Philadelphia could eye wind turbine installation ships after its current contract to construct a series of product tankers is completed in 2012.

The yard, formerly the Kværner Philadelphia shipyard, is completing the construction of 12 product tankers for the American Shipping Company to be leased out to operators, including Shell Oil. The first ship under the deal was delivered in 2007.

Managers at the yard are understood to be seeking orders for ships after 2012 to secure the yard's future. There is a suggestion that an unsecured/option hull may be commenced this spring but that is subject to securing a firm order or construction funding for this ship.

Commentators are pointing out that one option for the yard might be the construction of turbine installation vessels (TIV) to help the burgeoning offshore renewable energy sector. Managers are understood to be evaluating a number of such projects.

One blow to the yard was the failure of the Philadelphia Regional Port Authority (PRPA) to secure USD135 million in 'Tiger grant' funding to cover 30 percent of the anticipated USD450 million cost of constructing three TIVs at the yard. This was despite the potential client establishing a marine services affiliate to seek financing for the remaining 70 percent of construction costs and to oversee the construction, certification and operation of the vessels.

The TIGER discretionary grants are provided under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 to promote the preservation and creation of jobs and the promotion of economic recovery by investment in US transportation infrastructure. The aim is to provide long-term economic benefits and assistance for those affected by the current economic downturn. Some USD1.5 billion is available until September, 2011.

The US Department of Transportation has called these grants for transport projects TIGER discretionary grants (Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery).

Heavy Lift | News

MACS appoints UAL America as agent thumbnail image

MACS appoints UAL America as agent

April 23 - MACS Maritime Carrier Shipping has appointed Universal Africa Lines, America (UAL America) as its sales agent in Texas, effective June 1, 2019.
Views: 142
EU recognises Scheuerle and Kamag thumbnail image

EU recognises Scheuerle and Kamag

April 23 - The EU Commissioner for budget and human resources, Günther Oettinger, congratulated TII Group for a combined 200 years of innovation and competence at its subsidiaries, Scheuerle and Kamag.
Views: 163
Ceva launches BRI block train thumbnail image

Ceva launches BRI block train

April 22 - Ceva Logistics North Asia has launched a block train service from China to Europe as the company looks to tap into the potential of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI).
Views: 321
Crowley promotes Sandra Goranovic thumbnail image

Crowley promotes Sandra Goranovic

April 22 - Crowley Maritime has appointed Sandra Goranovic as vice president of finance and accounting for the Crowley Shipping business unit.
Views: 336

Heavy Lift Across The World

Discover heavy lift and project logistics industry news from around the world by region.