LOCATION: St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
ABOUT: The St Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation opened to navigation in 1959. The Great Lakes / St. Lawrence Seaway System has been a vital link in moving goods between the heartland of North America and international markets.
The Seaway System, 3,700 kilometers in length, encompasses the St. Lawrence River and the five Great Lakes, and extends from the Gulf of St. Lawrence at the Atlantic Ocean to the western end of Lake Superior at the twin ports of Duluth, Minnesota, and Superior, Wisconsin. Each navigation season, more than 2,500 commercial vessel transits are made through the Seaway System's locks to call on major U.S. and Canadian ports.
The role of the St. Lawrence Seaway Management Corporation is to ensure the safety, reliability and efficiency of this vast transportation route, which is vital to North America's economy.
The Market Development Manager reports directly to the Director of Market Development and is responsible for planning, organizing, directing, controlling and evaluating the activities under her/his responsibility. He/she ensures the quality of those services and client satisfaction. The Manager also provides Corporate leadership in the field of Market Development activities to ensure economic growth and long term sustainability of the Corporation.
This position deals directly with stakeholders including government bodies, is responsible for business development, marketing, new initiatives, and new product development.
- Establishes departmental goals and objectives of his/her business unit, aligned with the Corporation's vision and mission, strategic and operational plans and financial budgets;
- In collaboration with other departments and/or regions, translates strategic and business needs into management decisions, practices, priorities and work assignments of his/her department;
- Manages the appropriate allocation of resources - human, financial and physical assets - for the optimal performance, safety and productivity of his/her business unit;
- Respects and works within the boundaries of legislative requirements, contractual agreements, resource allocation and the policies, procedures or standards of the SLSMC;
- Fosters effective communications, positive working relationships within and outside the business unit and seeks ongoing commitment to the Corporation's vision and long term sustainability.
- Develops and cultivates strong business relationships with customers, key industry leaders, owners, sub-contractors, suppliers, and Federal, Provincial and Municipal representatives.
- Monitors industrial activity and proactively seeks business growth opportunities.
- Is aware of and responsive to economic trends.
- Formulates and recommends short and long term objectives and plans required to attain strategic goals.
- Performs SWOT analysis pertaining to market conditions and makes recommendations to senior management on strategies to implement.
- Tracks progress of the market sector strategic plan and issues reports and other documentation for senior management.
- Assists in developing the production of marketing, business and multimodal transportation materials.
- Attend workshops, trade shows, and seminars to keep up-to-date on changes in the industry and to promote the Corporation.
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCIES & SKILLS:
Ability to develop solid relationships and models the importance of working together in a collaborative manner.
- Excellent communication skill and ability to develop clear, comprehensive and accurate business documents, reports and presentations.
- Considerable sales experience.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to proactively anticipate and respond to customer needs, and maintain effective working relationships.
- Capacity to build an effective, sustainable organization through stewardship and governance.
- Ability to foster a team environment by promoting cooperation, participation, support and mutual respect, and to interact effectively with team members and colleague.
- Ability and willingness to be open-minded and adjust to different perspectives.
- Ability to demonstrate and apply knowledge of the Corporate's mission, purpose and services.
- Demonstrates Values and Ethics, including high standard, in personal behavior.
- Good knowledge of pertinent software, especially Word, Excel, Internet, SAP, etc.
Understanding the Business:
Knows the business and the mission-critical technical and functional skills needed to do the job; understands various types of business propositions and understands how businesses operate in general; learns new methods and technologies easily.
Making Complex Decisions:
Can solve even the toughest and most complex of problems; great at gleaning meaning from whatever data is available; is a quick study of the new and different; adds personal wisdom and experience to come to the best conclusion and solution, given the situation; uses multiple problem-solving tools and techniques.
Creating the New and the Different:
Is able to come up with the next great breakthrough thing to do; is creative, a visionary, and can manage innovation; is an effective strategist full of ideas and possibilities; sees multiple futures; has broad interests and knowledge; can both create and bring exciting ideas to market; comfortable speculating about alternative futures without all of the data.
Is well organized, resourceful, and planful; effective and efficient at marshaling multiple resources to get things done; lays out tasks in sufficient detail to mark the trail; is able to get things done with less and in less time; can work on multiple tasks at once without losing track; foresees and plans around obstacles.
Focusing on Actions and Outcomes:
Attacks everything with drive and energy with an eye on the bottom line; not afraid to initiate action before all the facts are known; drives to finish everything he/she starts.
Being Organizationally Savvy:
Maneuvers well to get things done; maze bright; knows where to go to get what he/she needs; politically aware and agile; knows what the right thing to do is; presents views and arguments well.
Writes and presents effectively; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; strongly gets a message across.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
University degree in business administration, commerce, accounting, or economics. Or equivalent experience. 5 to 10 years' experience in Sales and Market Development preferably with 2 to 3 years in a strategic development role. Transportation industry experience an asset.
Valid Driver's License - Class "G" in Ontario or Class 5 in Quebec - would be an asset
Please e-mail your resume in Word format to:
To: Scott Adams
Individuals new to Futurestep are requested to register at: www.futurestep.com